My various pages

Currently Here

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Taiwan life 4 months later

My thoughts and observations 4 months later

Life in Taiwan is tough.

Time flies in Taiwan. I'm four months here, living the fast-paced life of Taipei City and it's killing me. The first month was cold, rainy and I needed a lot of time to figure out whether it was good to leave everything behind and move to the other side of the world. I came for love and for new valuable experiences, for an investment in the future, that would benefit me, my wife and our future family. And when I came, I got a job very fast - I was finally able to do exactly what I always dreamed to do: International business. I knew it will be tough, it's always tough when millions are in play and faces need to be saved, but this is beyond my wildest expectations. I learned so much about how it is to work in a big Taiwanese company, I could write a book about it already: After only 3 months! But I won't even blog about it, because "the internets" are a very small place and I don't wanna feed the rats.

Life is tough and stressful in Taipei. The noise and air pollution are amazingly high for someone, who was used to be surrounded by fresh air and chirping birds. The population density is one of the highest in the world and the problems related to that are seen on every corner. It's almost impossible to go a popular place in Taipei and not encounter huge crowds. That's awesome, when you are a visitor in Taiwan (and traveling in Taiwan is one of my favorite hobbies), but when you live and work here, you just want to get away from the hustle and bustle as far as possible. With all that said, I would not want to return back home, I am not a quitter. I'm starting to get to know people I would never had the chance to meet in my previous life. I am meeting new real friends and I am gaining a lot of experience in this very new field of work. I'm not sure, whether I will burn out in a couple of weeks (it's possible!) and change the job to something less demanding (like teaching) or whether I will toughen up, learn more and aim for something higher. This year is the most challenging year in my life and it can go either way with me. And it has nothing to do with Taiwan, it has everything to do with me.

I wish that one day I can write a post like Jenna here.

[My LIFE IN TAIWAN page][Photo by MKL, 2011]

22 COMMENTS:

Don't quit just yet ... it's just too soon to really bask in the results you are hoping for. You're tough and you have loads of rational thinking in you ... i'm sure you will pull through this phase and many more ahead to make your mark here in Taiwan.

My last English teacher,who is a kiwi,had stayed in Taiwan for almost 5 years,then left for Europe couple months ago.He is working in a cruise now. He has the life style that I dream of. I always think if I could leave Taiwan to a different country and find a job. After couple months or years,maybe I think it was time to move on,I would head to a different country. That's what I dream of. But finishing your article,maybe I was too naive.Haha. Life is difficult and full of challenges. I have some friends who aren't Taiwanese,but they all came here and work like you for different kinds of reasons they got. And I think you guys are very brave.independt.respectful and dare-to-dream people. You still take the challenge just for your dream,your love or the reason you got,even though you know it is gonna be a tough one. Hope I could be one of your guys one day in my life. :)

Hang on there and I wish you and your girl have a nice life wheather in Taiwan or wherever in this world. :)


by Daniel

It's always awesome to be working for you and your significant other. I guess a few years later both of you would look back and go, "Wow, we did this," or maybe "I'm thankful that we did this for each other."

One thing for sure: You guys are going to be thankful to fate for uniting you both in the first place.

As I have written in other comments, you are a keen observer and your conclusions after several month are pertinent, I'm sure. But ont the other hand, you seem to be a fighter too, and this is wonderful. You will not give up if not for other reason, then just to prove yourself! And people like you may bring progress, first for themselves and the significant ones, then for the companies they are working for, and finally for the society.

Changing the life style isn't bad if you are content with yourself. Just persevere, MKL!

@Wings。Daniel: Thank you for your kind comment, but I feel I am not as great as some other people. I just try my best to give my wife the life she deserves :)

@Joanne: I hope things will go the way we are expecting them to go :) Thanks for the kind words.

@Traveling Hawk: Thank you very much for your encouraging words. I hope I will persevere, thanks :)

I think it is amazing that you have adjusted as well as you have as quickly as you have! One thing to remember about this time is no matter where you end up living for the long term this new experience will have you prepared for just about anything life can throw at you. Hang in there!

Hang in there! It takes more then 3 months to adjust!! Trust me! I had this experience when I moved to the US, then again when with Spain and then with Nicaragua. It's roller coaster. First month: you love it. Second month you're tired. Third month you're wondering if you made the right choice. Fourth month you feel you didn't. And then by the fifth month you it all starts getting better! I know this will happen for you to.

And you have it double up! They say it takes A YEAR to adjust to a new job! A YEAR! And you have to adjust to a new job in a new place. Don't beat yourself up that it's hard. You will reap the benefits from this I'm sure!

@Kristie: Thanks :) I'll try my best.

@Carina: I know it takes long. Hope by end of year I will be better. Thanks for your support.

I've really enjoyed looking at your photos and reading several posts on your blog. I wish you the best and hope you'll find the right balance that will work with your family. One of my favorite quotes is "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." It is by David O. McKay. Cheers!

Maybe you could spend some time musing about the fact that "everywhere you go, you always take yourself with you" ... The reason for my suggestion is that I re-analysed my life some time ago and while doing it I discovered that regardless of how often and where to I move in my life, there's one thing that I "always take with me": the amount of work I tend carry out as a rule. It is always a bit too much, I do complain about it from time to time, but I don't seem to be able to resist the temptation of it or at least change anything about it. Neither do I live in a place I'd like wholeheartedly ... It is quite some time since I last did. I don't know whether I should/want to aim for any changes whatsoever, so I don't ... :-)

And you?

It's not you. It's normal that you're experiencing some sort of culture shock because you're in another country. You're gonna get used to it. I'm sure. Besides, you're with the woman you love. She'll help you.

Time passes real fast bro. 4 months wow!

I can't stay in a hustle bustle city any more... I was in KL and I hate it.. when I was in China the only time I enjoy the moment was when there were less people around LOL

I"m not anti social it just that ... all this hustle bustle town make me dizzy and stressful :)

I'll see if I can visit you in Taipei... our first year anniversary is coming up and we havent had a real honeymoon yet.

Hey! I think you are doing great, I used to enjoy being busy in Taipei. You know even for local people, some days are easy, some days are tough. I had a full-time job in the office and another part-time job at night, but the most important thing was I had lots good friends there, and that's something I don't think I will ever get here in NYC and I have been here for almost 10 years :( anyway, keep up the good work, both the life and blog!

@Kelly: Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words :)

@alcessa: I'm aiming for changes actually. There is something on the horizon, but I'm not sure, if it's the right one. I will see :)

@gnetch: She does, thank you. What a sweet comment :)

@Netster: Hustle and bustle of Taipei is ok, if you don't get caught up in the tornado. Sadly, I got caught up in one. But I'm working on getting out :)

@Hsin-Yi: You're spot on! I'm making many good friends (and few enemies, hehe), but seriously, when you're in the same shit, you become closer. Whatever may be, I will have a lot of awesome buddies in the future.

Where did you take the photo of the Taiwan flag t-shirt?

@Graham: I took it in Taichung, at the Fengjia Night Market.

Thanks MKL. I'll check it out on my next visit :-)

Any chance you'll be returning any time soon?

@Graham: You mean to Fengjia Night Market? It's far from Taipei. I'd love to go on a week day, but I'm too busy. During the weekend is too crazy, you can check some of my photos here. If you're looking for Taiwan related shirts and suvenirs, check Zazzle.

Thanks for your help. I'll be in Taiwan later this year and will keep my eyes open for one in the night markets.

Where can I get one of those flag shirts like in the picture? They're awesome!

Post a Comment


Please read my comment policy, before you comment.